Okay, I need to give it to you straight, without sugar coating my words, YOU ARE AWESOME.I am serious. Whether I know you personally or not, I admire you. You inspire others in ways you may not even know. As someone who is reading this, you inspire me. I appreciate you being you.
When you feel down, lonely, anxious, depressed, sad or any other feelings that don’t allow you to be you, remember this, I CARE ABOUT YOU. Never underestimate the power of knowing that others truly care about you. Let nothing in your life let you forget that. You are awesome.
I came across the following poem that I love. I hope you will not just read it but think about the message.
You’re More Than Awesome
A poem by Noel S. Williams
You’re more than awesome
You are one of a kind
Your personality blossoms
and your bright soul is not confined
You’re smile is beautiful
You’re hope is bright
Your spirit is lovable
You shine through with your light
Sometimes you’ll forget these things
When your life gets tough
You’ll feel as if you’re tied up by strings
You feel like your life is rough
But when you get to that point
When you can’t remeber all the good
When you’re being torn apart joint by joint
Look back at this and remember what you should
You’re perfect in every way
You are the light in the dark
Your spirit is yellow not grey
And you are the start of a hopeful spark
You’re more than awesome
You’re one of a kind
You’re beautiful like a blossom
and your soul is not confined.
You are a hero and heroes rock.
When I talk about “Inner Strength” I am referring to a combination of mental, emotional and spiritual strength. Each of these play such an integral part of making up how we feel, the decisions we make and the outcomes we achieve. These strengths are developed and strengthened based on our values. To define values in a simple way, they are those beliefs that guide our thoughts and actions. They define who we are and what we stand for. Understanding our values at the core of developing Inner Strength.
The key is to find values that you believe in and know that no matter what, you can maintain through any situation.
Values are one of the most important things that we carry with us throughout our life. They are what truly define us. The best part about values is that each person defines them for themselves. The problem comes when people allow for their values to be influenced in a negative way. We have seen many examples of what happens when people, leaders and organizations let their values slip.
Defining your values will be one of the most important things you will ever do. You need to take a deep look into your inner self to know what it is you stand for. Then, you must be sure that those values are immovable. You must stay true to them no matter what the situation is. This can be hard and there are going to be times when your values are challenged. Inner strength comes when you overcome the temptation to put your values aside. You become stronger each time you keep your values intact. Whether you know it or not, people are watching to see who you are based on your decisions. It won’t really matter what you say if are not true to who you are.
Don’t let the world define your values. This may sound like common sense but look at how much social media influences you, me and all those around us. Are you clicking the “Like” button because others who are popular clicked it? Are you posting things you have no interest in but know it will cause contention, pain and other negative emotions? How would people define you based on your social media presence? When you have defined your values, then live them. This is especially true when using technology. Let others see this and not some fake or “other you.” You control this and it starts with knowing your values.
So don’t compromise, be strong, be true. When you have strong values, you can provide true value and that is when you will see noticeable improvement in your Inner Strength.
You are a hero!
How are you going to develop values that can withstand any storm?
Given current economic conditions, it’s no surprise that many people are considering returning to college or a change in careers. As some who has spent the past 13 plus years in higher education, I naturally endorse this strategy of looking to return to school or wanting to go into a career you are passionate about. The issue becomes the inability to focus on the right things to achieve ones ultimate goals, doing what they are passionate about. Here are some steps to take to help ensure you chase your Passion not just a Paycheck.
- The first thing to do is spend more time thinking about your interests than you do thinking about money. That sounds counter-intuitive but returning to college or changing your job has to be about more than chasing a paycheck. It’s been said that if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life. So finding and following your passion is time well spent.
- If you are not sure where your passion would take you let alone what it may be, then sit down with pen and paper and make a list: things you like to do in your free time, different talents or skills that come easily to you, people whom you admire, subject areas and classes you enjoyed while growing up, topics you relish reading about and people you prefer to be around. The answers you provide to these questions will sharpen your focus.
- After you have identified a career path that not only uses some of your strengths but one that also engages you in the type of activity and thinking that you most enjoy, meet and interview people currently working in that field. In some cases, they may let you shadow someone in their office. As you evaluate your options, consider both the positive and the less attractive aspects of the desired industry. For instance, if you like helping people, you might be inclined toward healthcare; but think about how you will respond to sick or sad people on a daily basis.
- It’s important to determine what you are willing to sacrifice in order to do what you are passionate about. So ask yourself: can I devote the time and energy necessary to be a successful? Will I set priorities, budget my time and money and impose discipline in my life? Once you have decided what you are willing to sacrifice, time to create your plan.
- Don’t let any opportunity slip away where you don’t set goals for yourself. This is especially true as you are looking to make changes in your career future. Your goals should lead you down a path where you are following your passion. The longer you chase a paycheck, the less time you have to do what you really want. Money is important and needs to always be a apart of your formula for success but don’t to get caught up making it the only focus.
As you stay focused and determined, you will achieve the success you truly dream of. It will not be easy and the reality is, it shouldn’t be. You want to feel rewarded and accomplished. This can happen with greater peace, happiness and joy as you are allowing yourself to do what you feel you can do best and are most passionate about.
Now, go make something great happen!